Simpson Bay, Sint Maarten
1.5K views

My husband and I made a reservation with ACE Car Rental on Airport Road on St. Martin a month before our arrival.

We have been going to the island for 15 years, and had never used this company before- and we NEVER WILL AGAIN! When we arrived at the Airport Road location, the rental agent, Juan Carlos, was the nastiest, surliest, meanest, most rude agent we have ever encountered. We were stunned by his behavior and asked him point blank if he was having a bad day because he was behaving so badly towards us. We were not given the car we reserved.

The car we were given had close to 50,000 kilometers on it, the seat belts didn't work, and the gas gauge was broken. Also, an $800.00 "hold" was placed on our credit card that we were told would be reversed after the car was returned. This was not in the original reservation paperwork. It was late, we were tired, we needed a car, so we agreed under duress.

A few nights after we rented the car, the battery died and left us stranded a mile and a half away from our resort. We had no choice but to walk back to our resort in the dark, and call the 24-hour assistance number. Ace was closed for the night. Someone came (not with ACE) in an hour to replace the battery.

The service person came and picked up my husband where we were staying, and the two of them drove to where the car broke down. Our dinner plans for that night were ruined- we missed our reservation. A week after that, the rear, left tire went flat. My husband called ACE and spoke with another nasty rental agent at the Airport Road location.

My husband advised the agent that first we had a dead battery and now we had a flat tire, and this was the second time we had been inconvenienced because we had been given a car that should have been retired from the company rental pool. The agent suggested that my husband go look in the trunk and see if there was a spare, and change the tire himself! I knew this wasn't going to happen. While on the phone, my husband stayed calm but received horrible customer service while speaking with this disagreeable agent.

When the call was concluded, my husband said someone was coming to fix the tire "some time" that day. At this point I was pretty fed up and tried calling the ACE Customer Care telephone number. I called three times and- surprise- the number had been disconnected! I then sent the company an email providing the details of our unhappy circumstances, and suggested, because of the inconveniences we had suffered, that we receive a partial refund.

I received an email response that the issue of the refund would have to be discussed at the location where we rented the car. When we returned the car (with more gas then when we picked it up, because of the broken gas gauge), we spoke with another surly rental agent and recapped all the problems we had experienced. No dice- we did not get a partial refund, or even an apology. What we did get was more insults and bad behavior.

And, three days later ACE had still not reversed the $800.00 "hold" on our credit card. How in the world does a company with this kind of horrible customer service stay in business? Stay away from ACE Car Rental if you're going to St.

Martin.

Product or Service Mentioned: Ace Rent A Car Car Rental.

Preferred solution: Price reduction.

Comments

Capitol Heights, Maryland, United States #1297197

My wife and I just returned from 10 days in Saint Martin, landing at SXM. Feb.

18-28, 2017. We took a chance on ACE Car rental because it was less expensive.

We made a reservation online and paid the deposit. Everything went exactly like a car rental should go, except we paid a lot less.

Got a flat tire and had to pay for a new one, worst customer service in the Virgin Islands...definitely worth spending 50 more bucks for a better company. This place is a huge gamble, if you do book cross your fingers

rjmronster

We booked a week's rental with ACE near the airport May 2016. Pick up from Airport and return to Airport was smooth.

No problems with the car.

No hold on my credit card. All good.

Brooklyn, New York, United States #1123045

Thanks for the warning, I almost booked a car with ACE but am quickly cancelling it.

to John #1123054

Go to Empress- they are awesome!